• You are here:
  • About
  • FAQs
  • Print Page


Membership Information

How do I report the death of a member of the D.C. Bar?

The D.C. Bar sympathizes with the family, friends, and colleagues of our members who have passed. To report the death of a member, please contact Member Services by phone at 202-626-3475 or email to [email protected]. In order to appropriately update the member profile, we request you to provide the member’s date of passing. In some instances, you may also be asked to provide a copy of the death certificate or where the obituary is located.

How will I get my license renewal form if I have relocated?

Effective May 1, 2020, license renewal invoices will no longer be mailed.  However, members are required by Rule II, Section 2, of the D.C. Court of Appeals Rules Governing the District of Columbia Bar to update their address information within 30 days of any change. A U.S. Postal Service forwarding notice sent to the Bar is not a substitute for the member’s explicit written notice.

Can I give you my change of address over the phone?

Yes, by contacting Member Services at 202-626-3475. Changes also can be submitted online, or via email at [email protected].

How do I change my name in the District of Columbia Bar records?

In order to change your name on our official Bar records, you must complete the Change of Name Request Form and provide supporting documentation, such as a copy of your certified marriage certificate, court approved divorce declaration, court approved name change documentation or other court ordered certified document affirming the requested change. Your notarized form and supporting documents may be returned via email to [email protected] or by fax to 866-550-9331.

Any updates to your contact information should be included with this request. New bar cards may be requested for a $10 fee from within your online member account.

How do I get my Bar membership card replaced?

Members who need their D.C. Bar Membership card replaced may log into their online member account to submit a replacement request. Bar cards are printed offsite and require 2-3 weeks for order processing and delivery. There is a $10 fee for the replacement of D.C. Bar membership cards.

If I am a member of the D.C. Bar, does this automatically mean that I am a member of the U.S. District Court?

No. If you want to become a member of the U.S. District Court, information on the requirements for admission to the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia may be found here or by contacting their offices at 202-354-3100.

Am I required to maintain an office in the District of Columbia?

No. There is no residency requirement for the District of Columbia.

Can the public see my home address and phone number on record?

The District of Columbia Bar’s policy on personal information only allows the public to see or receive information on your listed business address and phone number. Addresses and phone numbers labeled as “home” do not display in our directory and are not given out to any third party without the authorized consent of the attorney.

What information is publicly available?

D.C. Bar members are reminded that certain membership information required as part of the Bar’s annual registration process is available to the public.

Upon request of any person, the Bar will verify if a specific individual is a member and will release specific information. The information available to the public is whether an attorney is a member of the District of Columbia Bar, an attorney’s membership status, an attorney’s date of admission, and an attorney’s business address and phone number. The Bar also will provide member email and fax numbers unless the member elects to restrict the use of that information to official Bar communications. To restrict that use, please click “unlisted” next to your contact information inside your member account.

All unrestricted information is available on the Bar’s Find a Member search. All other information is confidential unless a signed authorization form is received from the attorney.