Free Child Custody Clinic
About the Clinic
Every month at the District of Columbia Superior Court, volunteer attorneys and paralegals present a two-session workshop to help individuals file for child custody without an attorney.
The clinic provides information on how the law in the District of Columbia addresses child custody, visitation, and child support arrangements. This clinic does not provide any legal advice.
In order to cover all of the information and best prepare you to handle your custody case on your own, the clinic has been divided into two sessions. During Session I, you will get an introduction to the laws related to child custody in the District of Columbia. During Session II, instructors will assist you in filling out required forms and answering individual questions.
Clinic instructors will discuss the following topics during Session I:
- Jurisdiction—who can file for custody in the District of Columbia
- Filing requirements—what you must do to get started
- Court forms—completing necessary court forms to properly request custody or respond to someone else’s request for custody
- Resolving issues—the laws on custody, visitation, and child support
- Fastest way to proceed if both parties agree
- Service of process—ensuring the other parent is notified of the custody case
- Absent defendants—what to do if you cannot find the child’s other parent
- Default proceedings—what to do if the other parent does not respond to your request for custody
- The hearing—what to expect when you appear before the judge
- Saturday, March 8 and 22, 10 a.m.-12 p.m.
- Thursday, April 10 and 24, 6-8 p.m.
- Saturday, May 10 and 24, 10 a.m.-12 p.m.
- Thursday, June 12 and 26, 6 -8 p.m.
Clinic Location and Directions
The clinic sessions are held at the D.C. Superior Court, H. Carl Moultrie I Courthouse, 500 Indiana NW, Washington, DC.
Directions to the courthouse.
Attending the Clinic
You must preregister to attend the clinic. Register Now!
If you need more information, call 202-737-4700, ext. 3292.