During the D.C. Bar's annual Celebration of Leadership, we recognize the people and organizations who have worked tirelessly to improve the profession and the greater legal community through public service, volunteer hours to help improve access to justice, and development of new projects and initiatives. The annual awards dinner will be held June 14, 2017.
Currently the Bar is accepting nominations for:
- Beatrice Rosenberg Award for Excellence in Government Service: This award is presented annually to a D.C. Bar member whose career accomplishments have included outstanding performance as counsel to a government agency (local, state or federal), exceptional service to the legal profession and/or the community, and unselfish contributions to advance the careers of colleagues and/or more junior lawyers.
- William J. Brennan Jr. Award: This award is presented biennially and alternates with the presentation of the Thurgood Marshall Award. Candidates for the Brennan Award must be members of the D.C. Bar who have shown extraordinary commitment and initiative in pursuing equal justice and opportunity for all Americans.
- Laura N. Rinaldi Pro Bono Lawyer of the Year Award: The award is presented to a lawyer for their excellence, achievement, and commitment to providing legal services to the low income and/or disadvantaged individuals and organizations in the District of Columbia.
- Pro Bono Law Firm of the Year Award: The award is presented to a firm for their excellence, achievement, and commitment to providing legal services to the low income and/or disadvantaged individuals and organizations in the District of Columbia.
- Bar Project of the Year/Frederick B. Abramson Award: This award recognizes a Bar committee or project that, through innovation, initiative or unusual dedication, has resulted in a significant benefit to the Bar and its individual members.
- Section of the Year Award: This award honors the outstanding D.C. Bar section that, through its educational programs, professional activities, involvement in current issues and legislation, member communications, and assistance to the community, best exemplifies professional service to its members, its area of practice, and the local community.
- Voluntary Bar Association of the Year Award: This award recognizes the D.C. chapter of a voluntary bar association that provides exemplary service to its members, the legal profession and/or the District of Columbia community, through programming, community outreach, special initiatives, and/or professional activities.
View the past awards winners.