Washington DC 20015
Contact: Laura M. Flegel , Legal Director
Web address: www.dcqualitytrust.org
- Need nonlitigator volunteers?
- Malpractice insurance for volunteers:
- Intake hours:
- By telephone during normal business hours
- Non-english services?
- Opportunities for attorneys not admitted in D.C.:
- Need paralegal/law students:
- DC citizen with developmental disability, as well as family and others serving that population
- Training offered:
- Types of services:
- Provide legal advice, counseling, limited representation, and referral on a wide range of legal issues, including guardianship and alternatives, end of life planning, access to services from the Developmental Disability Administration, public benefits, abuse and neglect, and landlord tenant and public housing, and disability rights issues. Work on systemic issues involving capacity, decision making, and alternatives to guardianship; financial accountability for people with disabilities; and ensuring that services are provided in the least restrictive setting possible. Work through the courts, primarily by filing amicus briefs. Advocate for legislative and policy reform critical in the lives of people with developmental disabilities. Participate in advisory committees and community based coalitions. Provide training, support, and technical assistance for attorneys appointed to represent people with developmental disabilities in the DC Superior Court.
- Volunteer needs:
- Volunteer attorneys, paralegals, and law students who are interested in individual representation, public policy, legal research, and systemic reform for people with disabilities.
- Subject areas:
- Human Rights, Civil Rights, Differently-abled Rights, Discrimination, Public Benefits, Public Policy, Wills, Health