Washington DC 20009
Contact: Amy Nelson , Supervising Attorney
Web address: www.whitmanwalker.org/legal
- Need nonlitigator volunteers?
- Malpractice insurance for volunteers:
- Intake hours:
- Monday - Friday, 9:00 a.m - 5:00 p.m.
- Non-english services?
- Opportunities for attorneys not admitted in D.C.:
- Yes. Need attorneys licensed in DC, VA, and MD. Attorneys licensed elsewhere can take on immigration and social security appeals cases.
- Need paralegal/law students:
- Clients must be HIV positive. No income guidelines except for estate planning and debt cases.
- Training offered:
- Whitman-Walker Clinic offers comprehensive training throughout the year in all areas in which we provide services. We provide extensive mentoring and written practice manuals and materials to support volunteers who take pro bono cases from us.
- Types of services:
- Legal Service (civil) for people living with HIV/AIDS in matters relating to their diagnosis.
- Volunteer needs:
- Whtiman-Walker Clinic welcomes volunteer participation in teh following programs. Pro Bono Program (handling individual cases in any of the above areas in which we practice); Intern Program for alw studnets; and In-House Volunteers for attorneys prepared to make a long-term commitment working in our office during the busineess day. We use attorneys licensed in DC, MD, and VA to take cases through our pro bono programs.
- Subject areas:
- AIDS/HIV, Asylum/Immigration, Differently-abled Rights, Discrimination, Public Benefits, Employment, Wills, Health