Washington DC 20049
Contact: Shirley M. Williams
Web address: www.aarp.org/lce
- Need nonlitigator volunteers?
- Malpractice insurance for volunteers:
- Intake hours:
- Monday through Friday 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Non-english services?
- Spanish and most other languages.
- Opportunities for attorneys not admitted in D.C.:
- They would have to work under direct supervision of staff attorneys and come into the LCE offices to do so.
- Need paralegal/law students:
- 200% of poverty level, age 60 or older. SSI or Social Security Disability case can be age 55.
- Training offered:
- Yes. Many civil areas, especially public benefits, housing, guardianship, consumer, wills.
- Types of services:
- Hotline legal advice services, staff attorneys, pro bono panel, nursing home and board and care ombudsmen, community education and training.
- Volunteer needs:
- Volunteer attorneys to work on-site and in outreach sites. Volunteer attorneys to handle individual cases and those involving systemic reform.
- Subject areas:
- Adoptions, Housing, Bankruptcy, Child Custody, Landlord/Tenant, Litigation, Contract Review (for artists only), Pension, Discrimination, Domestic Violence, Public Benefits, Elder Law, Employment, Family, Wills, Health