Washington DC 20001
Contact: Nancy Drane , Pro Bono Director
Phone: 202-467-4900 502
Web address: www.childrenslawcenter.org
- Need nonlitigator volunteers?
- Malpractice insurance for volunteers:
- Intake hours:
- 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. (Call first)
- Non-english services?
- English and Spanish
- Opportunities for attorneys not admitted in D.C.:
- Yes. Research
- Need paralegal/law students:
- 300% of poverty level
- Training offered:
- Yes. We offer training for adoption and kinship custody matters and for GALs in private custody cases. We offer a referral and advice helpline for GALs in DC Family Court.
- Types of services:
- Children’s Law Center works to give every child in the District of Columbia a solid foundation of family, health and education. We are the largest provider of free legal services in the District and the only to focus on children. Our 80-person staff partners with local pro bono attorneys to serve more than 2,000 at-risk children each year. We use this expertise to advocate for changes in the District’s laws, policies and programs. Learn more at www.childrenslawcenter.org.
- Volunteer needs:
- We refer adoption, guardianship, and custody cases to pro bono attorneys. Law students can volunteer as law clerks.
- Subject areas:
- Adoptions, Housing, Juvenile, Child Custody, Children, Domestic Violence, Public Policy, Education, Special Education, Family