Washington DC 20006
Contact: Sarah Sherman-Stokes
Phone: 202-331-3320 x20
Web address: www.caircoalition.org
- Need nonlitigator volunteers?
- Malpractice insurance for volunteers:
- Intake hours:
- CAIR Coalition assists only detained immigrants and does not accept walk-in clients.
- Non-english services?
- Staff speak Spanish & French, and can secure volunteer assistance with a variety of other languages
- Opportunities for attorneys not admitted in D.C.:
- Need paralegal/law students:
- Clients are screened at detention facilities to determine their eligibility for immigration relief
- Training offered:
- Yes. CAIR Coalition provides training, advice and support to volunteers.
- Types of services:
- CAIR Coalition is the only non-profit organization in the Washington, DC area with a legal services program dedicated exclusively to assisting immigrants detained by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). We visit county jails in VA (which hold immigrants from DC and VA) on a weekly basis to provide group legal orientations, individual consultations and assistance in finding pro bono attorneys for those who qualify for an immigration benefit but cannot afford an attorney. We also monitor jail conditions and work to secure improved medical treatment for detainees suffering from physical or mental illness.
- Volunteer needs:
- Volunteers are needed to assist with: 1) intake at ICE detention facilities, 2) representation of arriving asylum seekers at credible fear interviews and preparation of parole applications, and 3) representation of detained immigrants applying for asylum and other types of immigration relief before the immigration court.
- Subject areas: