Washington DC 20012
Contact: Claus Ortega
Web address: www.ayudainc.org
- Need nonlitigator volunteers?
- Malpractice insurance for volunteers:
- Intake hours:
- Immigration: Monday and Thursday at 9 a.m. to first 25 people.;Domestic violence: Monday through Friday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Non-english services?
- Spanish and French
- Opportunities for attorneys not admitted in D.C.:
- Yes. Membership in any state bar.
- Need paralegal/law students:
- Low income
- Training offered:
- All interns receive a two day training by the staff at the beginning of their internship. Interns will assist attorneys and paralegals handling cases and will have direct contact with clients.
- Types of services:
- Legal and social services, focusing on immigration and domestic violence matters for low-income immigrants in the DC and Maryland areas.
- Volunteer needs:
- Ayuda operates a highly respected internship and training program. Undergraduate, graduate or law school studetns may choose to intern either in Ayuda's Immigration Program or its Domestic Violence / Family Law program. Social work interns may apply to Domestic Violence / Family Law program. Ayuda also welcomes administrative / fundraising interns for its general operations. Ayuda internships are unpaid, but we are willing to assist with externship credit and / or fellowships if the student takes the lead
- Subject areas:
- Asylum/Immigration, Domestic Violence