A joint initiative of the D.C. Bar Pro Bono Program and the D.C. Access to Justice Commission, the SAILS (Senior Attorneys Initiative for Legal Services) Project recruits District law firms to train and mobilize their senior lawyers who are, or will soon be, approaching a transitional phase in their careers as they begin to wind down their law practices.
What SAILS does:
- Participating SAILS law firms institutionalize a structure and culture that encourages and supports their senior lawyers to undertake pro bono work as a central focus of the next phase of their careers.
- Though the firms establish a paradigm that is appropriate to their individual setting, the goal of SAILS is to reduce barriers and create incentives for senior lawyers to consider a “pro bono path” as they transition from full–time billable work.
- SAILS develops resources, including sample policies, to help law firms institutionalize a project that ensures senior lawyers who choose this path are supported by their firms.
- SAILS works very closely with the legal services community to develop pro bono projects appropriate for senior lawyers that significantly expand urgently needed resources and make a rapid and palpable impact on the availability of legal help for the most vulnerable members of our community.
To learn more, contact:
- Marc Fleischaker, chair of the SAILS Working Group
- Monika Kalra Varma, executive director of the D.C. Bar Pro Bono Program
- Jess Rosenbaum, executive director of the D.C. Access to Justice Commission
Other Senior Lawyer Resources:
A list of resources and pro bono opportunities are availabe for senior lawyers not affiliated with a major District law firm participating in SAILs. Senior lawyers also may contact Shannon Redd, staff attorney and training manager, D.C. Bar Pro Program.
- Arent Fox LLP*
- Arnold & Porter LLP*
- Covington & Burling LLP*
- Crowell & Moring LLP*
- Dickstein Shapiro LLP*
- DLA Piper*
- Hogan Lovells*
- McDermott, Will & Emery*
- Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP*
- Steptoe & Johnson LLP*
- Zuckerman Spaeder LLP*
* Founding Partners