- Course Requirements
- In accordance with the D.C. Court of Appeals Rules Governing the Bar, all attorneys admitted to the District of Columbia Bar after July 1, 1994, are required to complete the Mandatory D.C. Bar Course on the D.C. Rules of Professional Conduct and District of Columbia Practice. New Bar members must complete the Mandatory Course within 12 months after admission to the Bar.
- Course Schedule, Registration Information, and Course Fees
- The Mandatory Course is presented monthly. For a schedule of
Mandatory Course dates, information about course fees, or a
registration form, contact the D.C. Bar Continuing Legal
Education Office at 202–626–1315 or visit the D.C. Bar Web
site at www.dcbar.org/mandatorycourse.
- Course Location, Time, and Completion Requirements
- The Mandatory Course is held in the Atrium Ballroom of the Ronald Reagan Building and International Trade Center, 1300 Pennsylvania Avenue NW. Preregistration is encouraged. Mandatory Course check–in begins at 8 a.m. The course time is 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. To receive certification of completion of the Mandatory Course, all attendees must attend the course in its entirety and pay registration fees in full. Late arrivals will not be admitted, and early departure is not permitted.
- Consequences of Failure to Complete the Course
- Any attorney subject to this requirement who fails to complete the Mandatory Course within 60 days after the D.C. Bar issues written notice of noncompliance shall be administratively suspended from membership in the D.C. Bar.
- Alternative Compliance
- Alternative compliance to in–person attendance at the
Mandatory Course may be requested by attorneys in good
standing for cases of extreme hardship only. Requests for
alternative compliance must be original, signed, and written
and include evidence to substantiate claims of extreme
hardship. Alternative compliance requests shall be submitted
in writing to:
Attn: Mandatory Course Alternative Compliance
1101 K Street NW, Suite 200
Washington, DC 20005–4210
For further information on alternative compliance, call 202–737–4700, ext. 3234.
- Special Accommodations
- It is the intent of the D.C. Bar to provide accessibility to services, programs, and activities offered by the D.C. Bar to any qualified applicant, member or participant with a disability, upon reasonable notice and without requiring action which would result in a fundamental altercation in the nature of a service, program, or activity or in undue financial or administrative burden. Request for accommodations should be made in writing to the D.C. Bar, Attn: Mandatory Course Accommodations. Requests must be received at least five business days before the course date.
For registration and other general information about the Mandatory Course, call 202–626–1315 or check the D.C. Bar Web site at www.dcbar.org/mandatorycourse. For information on alternative compliance, call 202–737–4700, ext. 3234.