Free Divorce Clinic
About the Clinic
Every month at the District of Columbia Superior Court, volunteer attorneys and paralegals present a two–session workshop to help individuals file for uncontested divorces without an attorney in the District of Columbia.
An uncontested divorce is one in which both parties have agreed to all issues, including division of marital property and debt, child custody and child support arrangements, and alimony. If you and your spouse have not agreed about all the issues, but you would like to get more information about how the law addresses the division of marital property and debt, child custody and child support arrangements, and alimony, you are also welcome to attend, although this clinic does not provide any legal advice.
In order to cover all of the information and to best prepare you to manage the divorce process on your own, the clinic has been divided into two sessions. During Session I, you will get an introduction to the laws related to getting a divorce in the District of Columbia. During Session II, instructors will assist you with filling out required forms, answer individual questions, and show you what to expect at an uncontested divorce hearing.
Clinic instructors will discuss the following topics during Session I:
- Grounds for divorce—who can file for divorce in the District of Columbia
- Filing requirements—what you must do to get started;
- Court forms—completing necessary court forms to properly request a divorce
- Contested divorces—a discussion on issues such as property and children
- Fastest way to proceed if both parties agree
- Service of process—ensuring your spouse is notified of the divorce
- Absent defendants—what to do if you cannot find your spouse
- Default proceedings—what to do if your spouse does not respond to your request for a divorce
- The hearing—what to expect when you appear before the judge or magistrate judge
Upcoming 2015 clinics will be held on the following dates:
- Thursday, July 16 and 23, 6 - 8 p.m.
- Saturday, August 15 and 22, 10 a.m. - 12 p.m. (noon)
- Thursday, September 17 and 24, 6 - 8 p.m.
- Saturday, October 17 and 24, 10 a.m. - 12 p.m. (noon)
- Thursday, November 12 and 19, 6 - 8 p.m
- Saturday, December 12 and 19, 10 a.m. - 12 p.m. (noon)
Attending the Clinic
You must preregister to attend the clinic. Register Now!
If you need more information, call 202-737-4700, ext. 3292.